The Rules and Regulations at Sagesse High School have been established to provide students who have discipline problems with enough opportunities to set their behavior straight and learn from their mistakes. As a result, the following disciplinary actions have been implemented:
Warning: Students are given a warning as a result of a serious infraction as specified in the school rules and regulations (refer to Appendix A).
Detention: Detention is assigned for misdemeanors related to discipline and / or academics such as repeatedly forgetting school supplies, not doing homework, obviously repeated lack of studying or others.
- Afternoon detention is held from 2:45 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. on school days. Parents or guardians have to provide transportation from school.
- Saturday detention is held from 8:30 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. Parents or guardians have to provide transportation to and from school.
Out of School Suspension: Suspended students will spend the duration of the suspension at home. They are held responsible for obtaining and studying all material covered and assigned in class during the period of their suspension. The student will be awarded a zero on any assessment that they miss due to suspension.
Expulsion: The decision to expel a student is taken by the Rector upon consulting with the disciplinary council. Expelled students are not allowed back to school.
Appendix A: Discipline and Academic Notice Policies
In order to establish a more representative system of reporting of infractions to the school disciplinary code versus the infractions to the academic requirements per subject, the administration has started implementing the following amendments to the existing system:
Students will get a straight warning and a possible suspension depending on the severity of the action upon doing the following: (including, but not limited to)
1.Bullying (on internet or in school premises)
4.Disrespecting faculty and staff members
5.Use of foul language
6.Intentionally damaging school property:
- fire alarm
- lockers and desks
- lab equipment
In addition, the student must pay for the damage and sit for detention unless it is proved that the damage was accidental.
- Forging Parent/guardian/teacher/head of division’s signature
- Breaking school regulations (use of cell phone, IPod, camera, adult magazines, cards)
- Indecent behavior
- Promoting a bad image of the school
Students will be suspended from school upon doing the following: (including, but not limited to)
1. Escaping from school
2. Falsifying report cards or other official documents
3. Breaking school regulations (smoking/drinking alcohol)
4. Endangering the safety of others
7. Indecent behavior
In any of the above-mentioned cases, a warning letter and a suspension note will be issued by the Head of Division, to be signed by the parents and returned to the school. Three warning letters will result in a suspension.
Both actions will be reported to the IT department and will show on the report card under “Number of warnings” and “Number of days suspended”.
Students will be dismissed from school upon doing the following: (including, but not limited to)
1. Use of drugs
2. Recording with cell phone/camera (conversation, classroom discussions, etc..., without permission).
3. Endangering the safety of others
As for remarks and notices they will be issued in the following cases: (including, but not limited to)
- in class
- in the playground
- in the laboratory
- in the auditorium
- in the library
- on the bus
- during activities
- during PE class
Misbehaving includes the following:
- lalking/singing in class
- laughing in class for no reason
- playing in class
- changing place without permission
- distracting classmates
- walking in class without permission
- not following instructions
- eating, drinking, or chewing gum
- exchanging messages and notes in class
- leaving or entering class without permission
- making noises / animal sounds
- boy using the girl’s bathroom/girl using the boy’s bathroom
- late to class/school
- ditching class/detention
- not wearing the school uniform/ not properly wearing the school uniform
- girls wearing makeup, nail polish and excessive jewelry
- boys with piercing (ear rings, brow rings, etc.)
- girls with piercing (nose rings, brow rings, etc.)
- using each other’s property without prior permission
- using the lockers without permission
In the above-mentioned cases notices/remarks are issued by the supervisor and communicated to the parents. The teacher/ supervisor / HD will discuss the misbehavior with the student and with parents when needed. Detention and/ or community service can be a consequence to the action.
Please note the following:
- Depending on the student’s infraction, the Head of Division may decide on the appropriate discipline measure, upon approval from the Rector, and hence override this system if need be.
- The school reserves the right to hold a disciplinary council whenever it feels the need for it and override this system if need be.