SAGESSE HIGH SCHOOL
MARY MOTHER OF WISDON
Technology Use Guidelines for Faculty, Staff and Administrators
Sagesse High School is encouraging the use of technology in all its operations. This entails a greater responsibility on faculty, staff and administrators who must be aware that in addition to the vast resources available through on-line services such as internet, there also exists material that may be deemed inappropriate.
While the school will make every reasonable effort to monitor and supervise activities to ensure they are appropriate educational uses of technology, it is the responsibility of each user to honor the use restrictions of the school and help enforce appropriate use of technology service and on-line access.
By this letter, the school is hereby providing notice to all Faculty, Staff and Administrators concerning the existence of potentially inappropriate materials so that they can take added precaution when providing K-12 students with information over the Internet or other on-line access services. The determination of inappropriate material is subjective in nature, but generally is considered any material that does not have a direct relation to the Faculty, Staff and Administrators’ research or day-to-day use of such service. By signing this paper Teachers, Staff and Administrators acknowledge penalties for violation of school policies and regulations regarding such use. Please read the following carefully before signing.
Faculty, Staff and Administrators Contract
The school’s computer network provides access to the Internet and other related on-line services. Access may include:
1. Electronic Mail (E-Mail) communication
2. Information and news from a variety of sources and research institutions
3. Access to many university libraries and the Library of Congress
4. Future on-line services/interactive computing technology
Given the type of access that is available through the school’s network, material that may not be considered to be of educational value within the context of the school setting may be accessible to students. Sagesse High School has taken reasonable precautions to restrict access to controversial materials. However, on such networks, it is impossible to control all materials. The signatures on this paper are binding and indicate that the parties who have signed have read and agree to the terms and conditions and understand their significance.
Violation of this contract may result in disciplinary and/or legal action.
Faculty, Staff and Administrators Use Obligations/Responsibilities
Faculty, Staff and Administrators are authorized to use the school’s on-line services in accordance with user obligations and responsibilities specified below:
1. Faculty, Staff and Administrators assume full responsibility for their actions while using SHS technology services, the Internet, or other on-line services. All user IDs and passwords and/or related privileged information are strictly confidential and must not be disclosed to other parties.
2. Access to the system shall only be for purposes related to education. Commercial, political, and/or personal use of the school network is strictly prohibited. SHS reserves the right to monitor any on-line communications for improper use. Faculty, staff and administrators shall not assume that any communications over the network are private or confidential.
3. Users shall not use the system to encourage the use of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, nor shall they promote unethical practices or any activity prohibited by law or school policy.
4. Users shall not transmit material that is threatening, obscene, disruptive, or sexually explicit, or that could be construed as harassment or disparagement of others based on their race, national origin, sex, disability, religion or political beliefs.
5. Copyrighted material may not be placed on the system without the author’s permission. Users may download copyrighted material for their use only. Dissemination of any copyrighted material without the author’s permission is strictly prohibited and violation of this is subject to disciplinary action.
6. It shall be considered plagiarism for any user to download material that is not of his/her own creation and then submit that material under his/her own name without proper credit to the author/source.
7. Vandalism will result in the cancellation of privileges and may result in disciplinary and/or criminal action. Vandalism includes, but is not limited to:
- uploading/downloading of inappropriate/damaging material
- creating computer viruses
- malicious attempt to harm or destroy equipment, materials, or data of any other user
- knowingly attempting to produce a system failure or reduce/impede system performance in any way shape or form
8. Users shall not read other users’ mail or files. They shall not attempt to interfere with other users’ ability to send or receive electronic mail nor shall they attempt to read, delete, copy, modify, or forge other users’ mail.
9. Users shall report any security problem, misuse of the network, and/or inappropriate materials to the IT Department.
10. Any Faculty, Staff and Administrator who is aware of any misuse or infraction of any of the above regulations and does not report it to the IT Department shall be subject to disciplinary action and/or revocation of computer access.
Any user who violates of any of the aforementioned rules or regulations may be subject to the following:
1. Suspension and/or termination of all network access privileges or use of SHS technology
2. Other legal action, including action to recover civil damages and penalties
Name of Faculty/Staff/ Administrator: